Here are some of the more common questions I get in regards to NGUI licenses:
Is NGUI license per-person, per-project, or per-studio?
Per seat using NGUI. NGUI follows the Asset Store’s licensing conditions.
Are upgrades free?
Yes. All upgrades are free, even if the price goes up.
Is there a difference between PayPal and Asset Store versions?
Not anymore. They all get updated at the same time, and there is no longer any delay between submission and when the update becomes available on the asset store.
What’s the benefit of getting the Professional Edition?
You get access to the GIT repository, which gives you the following benefits:
- Faster updates. You’ll be working with the same code as Tasharen (often updated several times per day).
- All the version history, letting you pick and choose which revision you want to work with. Want a specific version? No problem!
- The ability to easily update to the latest version by pulling from the main repository. This automates the merging process, letting you keep your own modifications intact.
- Access to betas and the latest code long before it gets released on the Asset Store.
- You can submit your own changes via a pull request on github (subject to approval).
That said, the Professional edition is not for everyone. In fact, if you’re a hobbyist developer working by yourself, I’d advise you to save your money. The benefits of this edition don’t become evident until you are working in a team, or at least happen to be using a versioning system for your project yourself.
Is it possible to get a PayPal or Asset Store version, then upgrade to Professional later?
Sure. If you decide you want it, you can simply pay the difference between the current prices. This is done via a direct PayPal transaction. Please get in touch via the contact form. Please ensure to specify the right email address, or I won’t be able to respond!
Can we sign an additional agreement to appease the lawyers?
Certainly. Just get in touch via the contact form. Please note that this requires obtaining a professional license, however.
Professional Edition: Direct Purchase
If you wish to go with the Professional Edition right away, you can use the specialized Buy button below. If you want to purchase a Standard version, please do so on the main page. Please note that going this route requires some manual setup, so there will be a short delay before your access is granted.
If you wish to speed up this process, please register on github.com before purchasing the Professional Edition and place your email or github username in the “memo” field as you’re making the purchase.