Author Topic: Using two different versions of NGUI in the same project  (Read 2018 times)

JH

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • View Profile
Using two different versions of NGUI in the same project
« on: November 20, 2014, 09:29:10 PM »
We have a Unity project that uses NGUI 2.2.6.  We want to upgrade it to use the latest NGUI to ensure that it remains supported and up to date with the latest features and bug fixes, but in doing so, we'd have to redo all of the complex UI screens that were made with the old NGUI.  We also have many scripts that were written based on the old version of NGUI.  It seems like the upgrade strategy is to install the newest NGUI and go through each UI element and fix any bugs that may show up as a result of the upgrade.  Due to an upcoming deadline, we don't have enough time to redo these complex UI screens, but we still want to have the latest supported version of NGUI. 

My question is if it would be possible to install the latest version of NGUI and have it in our project alongside our existing NGUI 2.2.6 so that we can keep the old complex UI working as is in NGUI 2.2.6 and build any new UI screens using the latest version of NGUI.  Is that possible?  Or do we have to upgrade to the latest NGUI all across the project?  I assume it's not recommended to keep using an old and unsupported version of NGUI to do new development.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 09:36:37 PM by JH »

charliehelman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Using two different versions of NGUI in the same project
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 08:22:13 PM »
Chiming in because I recently went through the upgrade process again.

No. It's probably not possible, and definitely not worth it. Unless you wanted to somehow go and rename all of the existing nGUI classes (for example UISprite-> UISprite_old), I guess. Even then, that's worrisome. Don't do that.

As far as upgrading the project: so many, many things have changed since 2.x, don't expect to be able to upgrade the project without nearly re-making every UI. Also, I'm not even sure the "upgrade from 2.x to 3.0" functionality is still bundled in the latest version of nGUI. I could be wrong though.

Back when 3.0 came out, we upgraded to it from 2.x. It took about two weeks to catch all of the big issues and resolve them, but even now I find things occasionally that were broken during that upgrade. And three weeks ago, we upgraded from 3.0.8 to 3.7.6. I'm still working overtime to fix issues / weird behavior.

If your deadline really is close, hold off and wait to upgrade until after you ship, if you can. I really recommend gritting and bearing it for now.

ArenMook

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 337
  • -Receive: 1171
  • Toronto, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 09:11:45 PM »
Yeah I second what charlie said. Such a major upgrade close to a deadline is asking for trouble.

NGUI 2.2.6 is about two years out of date now.

JH

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 09:59:34 PM »
Thank you for your responses.  Do you know if I can use NGUI 2.2.6 in Unity 4.6 and later?

ArenMook

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 337
  • -Receive: 1171
  • Toronto, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 10:31:53 AM »
Probably, but I wouldn't recommend it.