Author Topic: How to structure scene files  (Read 920 times)

wiley.a

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • View Profile
How to structure scene files
« on: January 15, 2013, 01:13:30 PM »
Hello all

I have read a few posts about have a single GUI with multiple panels underneath which makes sense to me. However that would require all the panels to be in one scene file which limits it to being edited by a single person at a time, also no merging. I am asking because I want to have two setups for my game: one UI for the menus and one for the in game HUD and menu system. But I would like to have menus that are split between the two menus. For example, the options menu. I would like it to be accessible in both menu systems: main menu and ingame HuD.

I am not that well so I may not have written this too well. To sum up my two questions:

1. Should all of the menus (panels) for a complete system (main/HUD) be contained within a single scene file? If so, is it possible for multiple people to edit at the same time or merge their changes?

2. Can panels be instanced? Not at my computer at the moment so I can't check.

Thanks.

EToreo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • View Profile
Re: How to structure scene files
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 02:31:07 PM »
You can make Prefabs out of the stuff you want to share between scenes.

If you want to truly have multiply people working on it at the same time, you would probably have to create everything in scripts to avoid check in binary conflicts.  This is a limitation of Unity, not NGUI.