Author Topic: Thoughts from a newbie...  (Read 2899 times)

pforhan

Thoughts from a newbie...
« on: July 31, 2013, 04:53:44 PM »
Found Starlink via Amazon Appstore.  I'm hooked!

I definitely found the tutorial to be lacking (you mentioned folks had trouble in another thread).  Some big things I had to sort of find out and/or read about in the tips thread and/or I'm still not clear on:
  • There is a ship limit
  • Stars that are not sending are not creating more ships.  (is that true or not?  Still not real clear to me)
  • Stars get a defense bonus if not sending
  • Star ownership is a thing, and it extends beyond creating ships or sending them.  There are a lot of references to politics/influence in the special abilities, for example.
  • It's not clear how user level affects ability points
  • Some abilities have a hidden cooldown, it seems.  Maybe while the ability is still active?  At any rate, some abilities don't start recharging right away.
  • "Last Resort" (destroy a link) is wicked powerful, at least through the normal/commander level
  • While I can infer sometimes when a player is using an ability, it'd be nice if there was some sort of notification about it, in case I want to use "whatever they're using" next time.

Lots of fun.  I was about to ask if you offered a scripting language so that folks could customize AI or abilities, but I see you offer a full SDK.  I'll have to take a look.

Pat.

ArenMook

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 337
  • -Receive: 1171
  • Toronto, Canada
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts from a newbie...
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 02:16:36 PM »
  • 12 * total star count is the max ship limit as I recall. Might be less, I don't remember for certain.
  • Stars create ships if they are set to forward ships somewhere, or if they are linked to a non-friendly star
  • 30% defensive bonus when not sending ships
  • Those references are for game mechanics. :)
  • The higher your level, the more points you have -- up to a cap of 12 points
  • The hidden cooldown you're referring to is the time the ability remains active. Cooldown begins when the ability stops being active.
  • 6-point abilities are pretty powerful, yes. :)
  • You can pause the game and tap on their ability, and it shows you what it is... but yes, if it was showing up on the star map somehow it would certainly be nice.
The SDK you're referring to -- I am guessing you're talking about the Starlink UI kit? -- is just a UI system for the game available for developers using the NGUI UI system in Unity. There is currently no way to "mod" the game, as I'm not even sure how that would work on mobile devices.

pforhan

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 03:35:21 PM »
Just got back into playing after a while, sorry for the delay in responding.

• It must be 12 * max star count, maybe?  I've cut back a CPU player to 3 stars, but each star still had 50+ ships each time I teleported in.
  • re: ship creation, that would be fantastic to tell during the tutorial.  Same with defence bonus
  • re: defence bonus, it seems like there's some other magic at work, since an occupying force is whittled down even when there are no ships in orbit and none coming in.  Is that the star's own production in that case?
  • I understand that there is a link between higher level and more points.  But I don't know the link.  Every 4 or 5 levels gets you another point, maybe?  Wouldn't it be simpler to just link level advancement with getting more points?  (And after you fill up, it can continue to increase to show experience...)
  • Likewise, the hidden cooldown could be baked into the total cooldown for clarity to the player.  If you want to indicate the effect is still in play, perhaps keep the effect circles going.

ArenMook

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 337
  • -Receive: 1171
  • Toronto, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 05:11:55 PM »
Yes, 12 * total star count in the galaxy. Meaning it's different for small, medium, and large maps.

Stars belonging to a faction will fight the invaders, albeit not as effectively as having ships in orbit.