Author Topic: Why oh why is everyone moving to flat/metro UIs?  (Read 5129 times)

ArenMook

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 337
  • -Receive: 1171
  • Toronto, Canada
    • View Profile
Why oh why is everyone moving to flat/metro UIs?
« on: June 12, 2013, 03:31:25 AM »
First Microsoft and google, now iOS? I don't get it... am I the only one who thinks the new UI is fucking ugly as shit?

/rant off

Ferazel

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Why oh why is everyone moving to flat/metro UIs?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 08:50:50 PM »
It's an aesthetic thing for sure. I'd argue that the high-gloss skeumorphic era was really distracting from what was important. Which is in my opinion interaction area + description label. Now the problem is that on some areas of iOS the text is not readable (home screen with a bright background *cough cough*). Besides that I'd say that this is a good step towards making the interface match the exterior.

Just look at the hardware designs of Apple's computers and I think you can see that Ives values clean/simple over flashy animations/textures.

Anyways, simple colors are easier on RAM so that makes me happy! :D

Cripple

• TNP Alpha
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 05:44:32 PM »
I like the metro UI, google one is pretty good too. The old and new iOS is garbage.
Graphicstream Dev.

ArenMook

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Toronto, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 06:40:58 PM »
Cripple -- you and I, outside -- at lunch time. Fight to the death!

Cripple

• TNP Alpha
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 01:25:00 AM »
We don't eat at the same time  :P
Graphicstream Dev.

Zapgun

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 10:59:11 AM »
Curved buttons, faux leather textures, and other 'skeudomorphic' effects were originally used to give people a sense of 'richness' and a frame of reference for familiar items in the real world, thus making people feel more comfortable with computer interfaces. The line of thinking these days is that we no longer need these 'real world' references, and interfaces are better off with a clean look that helps the user to process the information without excess distraction.

I think this is the right way to go for general application design, and depending on the game, applicable for some games (4x games with a lot of information is one example I feel benefits from this approach). I don't think however its right for most games, where 'juice' is an important part of the experience (watch 'Juice It or Lose It' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy0aCDmgnxg for an example of why).

Like their predecessors, this new wave of flat designs can be either good or bad. Aren, are you sure you're not just hating 'bad' design (flat or otherwise)? I am not at all happy with IOS7's approach so far since I think it fails multiple times to meet the minimum requirement of a 'clean design to help the user process information'. That being said, I do prefer well done flat designs (for example I like that I can process the information in the Mass Effect UI easily, despite its others downfalls as pointed out at http://gamedesignreviews.com/reviews/mass-effect-interface-fail/).

- Zapgun

ArenMook

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Toronto, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 09:04:20 PM »
I love simple, minimalistic user interfaces... but I don't consider Metro / iOS7 UIs to be effective in this regard. Metro is too flat -- with little distinction between different areas and a serious overuse of colored squares, and iOS is rainbow-happy. Color orgasm with little definition.

Zapgun

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 06:44:05 AM »
Yes I agree, plus the icons are horrible. Have a look: http://ianstormtaylor.com/whats-wrong-with-the-ios-7-icons/

ENAY

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 01:41:18 AM »
> Cripple -- you and I, outside -- at lunch time. Fight to the death!

ArenMook in "cripple fight" shocker. I was not expecting that when I opened this thread.

Anyway yeah, I also don't like the metro UIs. They are horrible.

Nevulus

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 02:46:40 PM »
I think for a variety of reasons large platforms are moving to a more simpler UI design:

Less cpu intensive. Let's face it, especially on mobile platforms, the less resources you use on the UI, the better off you are, unless your application is UI-centric.

Easier to manipulate. This is more a reason based on theory. Take a vector image versus a static jpg for example: To scale, tween or generally alter a vector image is less prone to pixel artifacts than a jpg. This makes transitions such as movements, alpha fade-in/outs, and scaling easier on the eye.

Neutral is good. This is another reason based on design theory. When you have a framework such as an OS or an application based on creation, you want your UI to be as neutral as possible in order to remain unbiased during the creation and/or display process. Let's use iOS for example, you want the icons of apps to be as uniform as possible and neutral in order to facilitate all the variety of apps and content that will be displayed in order to maintain an aesthetically pleasing look. By simplifying the UI, layouts will remain cohesive & pleasing, unlike the 1990's Geocities websites that plagued the internet for far too long. :)

Also by maintaining a simplistic neutral UI, the attention can be maintained on the content or app, rather than the UI. Skyrim is a great example of a simple elegant UI that does not detract from the action of the game.

Corporate Agility. This is probably the most important reason for companies such as Windows and Apple. The simplistic UI is easy to translate unto multiple platforms. You can rest assured that the metro tile look will display just as good on a phone as it will on your xbox, while retaining the familiar tile look you are becoming accustomed too, which is the brand they hope catches on.