Author Topic: Question about HUDText before buying  (Read 1269 times)

iHaveReturnd

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • View Profile
Question about HUDText before buying
« on: February 26, 2014, 12:01:15 PM »
Hi Aren,

I am thinking about getting the HUDText extension for my teams current project, but I am unsure if it will work properly for what we have in mind.

We have an upgrade station we are setting up, the player will approach it, activate it, and in the 3d space a window will pop up from the station where the player interacts with the UI to change their gear.

Think some of the UI stuff from minority report: http://dashboardspy.com/img/minority-report.jpg (for reference)

There are multiple ways to accomplish that, such as using textured planes/objects in 3d space. I should note it is a multiplayer game and other players can make the screen move while one player is active on the upgrade station.

So my question is, can HUDText work with an NGUI 3D camera? Would it following the 3d object in our scene keep it in place for the player who is upgrading? All of examples I saw were with 2D so I wanted to make sure before buying. The examples all also have the text overlaying the 3d assets, so it doesn't seem like it would work for these needs. Worth checking to make sure though.

Thank you for your input!

« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 12:16:01 PM by iHaveReturnd »

ArenMook

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 337
  • -Receive: 1171
  • Toronto, Canada
    • View Profile
Re: Question about HUDText before buying
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 02:29:53 PM »
In simplest terms, HUDText simply creates labels on a flat plane that animate their scale, position and alpha, making them move along that plane.

The positioning of HUDText labels above some 3D object is done using a separate script altogether -- UIFollowTarget. You don't have to use it if you like. In your case you would simply add a game object under your UI with HUDText attached, and that's it.

So to answer your question: yes, it most certainly can work with 3D UIs just fine.