Author Topic: Problem with proportional fonts  (Read 3361 times)

Kartzan

Problem with proportional fonts
« on: June 11, 2012, 05:56:57 PM »
I'm having an issue using proportional (variable-width) fonts. I'm not sure if this is an issue associated with BMfont or not, but when I use Font Maker and utilize the font in labels or anything else it ends up being off and incorrect. Does anyone know of a setting you have to select in either BMfont or NGUI in order to get proportional fonts to render correctly? Thanks all.

PhilipC

Re: Problem with proportional fonts
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 08:42:44 AM »
I dont know of anything off hand but if you could send me the file required to use the font I would be happy to take a look to see if i can track down the issue.

Kartzan

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 11:17:12 AM »
Thanks for the help. The link to download the font (.ttf) is below.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/821655/din1451alt.ttf

PhilipC

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 01:02:54 PM »
So i just tested out the font you gave me and everything seems to be correct (for me at least) creating the new font and everything. I have attached the created for i tested with. Is this not what your getting? Maybe i missed something?

Kartzan

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 01:30:45 PM »
Interesting. I've included a screenshot showing first what I came to and second what you came to. Any chance you could tell me what BMFont setting you used? I was hoping to get something a little higher resolution.

PhilipC

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 01:46:22 PM »
I just used the default setting for BMFont.

Font settings were

charset:unicode
size: 20px
height: 100%
font smoothing checked

everything else unchecked or 0

export options were the same as in the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JW4M7wbzeo) at 3:45. If you havnt watch that video yet i would suggest you do.

Kartzan

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 02:15:04 PM »
There appears to be some issues with the way the text is rendered from BMFont and as a result the output varies depending on the size. I decided to check the "Match char height" checkbox in the font settings and now the font seems to be rendering properly. I've watched the video on this about 1/2 a dozen times and I think it may just be an issue with the font I am using. At the moment things seems to be working properly. Thank you for all your help and if anyone has a similar problem in the future hopefully they'll see this post and give "Match char height" a try.