Author Topic: Impossible map  (Read 2421 times)

Arantor

Impossible map
« on: January 12, 2014, 01:38:09 AM »
This is something I hadn't seen before, a Large map, 3 AI players, Normal difficulty, Desolate map... And not all the stars were connected. I believe I have build 138.

Playing on iPad mini (first gen), screenshot attached. As you can see, all the stars on the right are taken, and all joined together so it isn't a case of not having explored everywhere (I'm playing as Blue), but simply that there isn't anywhere on the map for those stars to link...

ArenMook

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 330
  • -Receive: 1157
  • Toronto, Canada
    • View Profile
Re: Impossible map
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 05:21:01 PM »
Desolate maps may have clusters of stars like that, and not all stars may be connected. There are some abilities that can help you here -- Teleport being one of them, and of course you can create a new route between stars where there isn't one already.

Arantor

Re: Impossible map
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 07:34:43 PM »
I can understand that desolate maps could potentially have it - though I've never seen it happen before.

The bigger question, though, if it's by design that Desolate maps have the potential for not all stars to be connected, that presumes I always need to have Strike Team (teleport) or Back Door (add a link) when playing such games, otherwise I run the risk of an unwinnable game.

I normally play with Sabotage/Cannon Fodder/Sucker Punch, and I'd have to sacrifice two of those (since they're all 4 points each for my max of 12) to take either a 5 or a 6 point ability, all to deal with the *possibility* of an unwinnable map.

The above was a win but only because I'd taken 13 of 23 stars. If my part of the galaxy was smaller, I'd have a situation where it wouldn't matter what I did, I'd have lost before I *did* anything. Maybe the not-entirely-contiguous star map is by design, and that's cool. The idea is interesting - but perhaps either check the player has one of the two requisite skills to make it viable, or ensure that the map is entirely reachable?