Author Topic: Can I transfer key from web version to Desura?  (Read 5311 times)

SweetlySick

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • View Profile
Can I transfer key from web version to Desura?
« on: April 23, 2013, 05:12:31 AM »
Fun game BTW!  :)

ArenMook

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 337
  • -Receive: 1171
  • Toronto, Canada
    • View Profile
Re: Can I transfer key from web version to Desura?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 08:08:41 AM »
You can export your profile on one device and import it on another. Just don't lose the profile #.

SweetlySick

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 12:24:51 AM »
So that's a Yes for tranferring to Desura?

And if losing the profile is a risk, is it possible to back it up or redownload from your site?

ArenMook

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Toronto, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 12:28:41 AM »
Profiles are always backed up on the server (unless you are not connected to the internet or mobile device isn't using wifi and has 3G disabled in the options), so even if you lose your profile somehow I can very easily restore it for you just by marking it as exported in the database, allowing you to import it on the device of your choice.

There is no difference between the direct download and Desura versions, so I am not sure why you'd want it on Desura? I'm not sure I can gift a copy there either, since the game doesn't use CD keys.

SweetlySick

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 04:56:32 PM »
Thanks.  Guess I was a little confused about the DRM system the game uses as it's very different from other games.  I'm used to DRM that's linked to my account, not a single device I own, eg. like Steam, Origin or Desura.  That way I can start up the game on any on my devices whenever I like without having to transfer profiles around first.

Hell, I've already bought two copies of the game - one for this PC and another for Android!  (yes, I'm that addicted to it lol)

Anyways, thanks again.  I guess I'm a little hopeful that perhaps down the track you'll support account-based DRM, or better still, drop the DRM.

=)

ArenMook

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Toronto, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 06:34:03 PM »
It's not DRM, actually. It's just server-side backup for those who own a full version of the game. You can transfer this "ownership" from one device to another, but only one device can "own" a profile at a time, because as I mentioned -- it's just a backup. Backing up from two different sources would mean that one would overwrite another, which is why it's restricted to one device at a time.

You can play the game offline, and Starlink won't care -- it just won't be backed up on a remote server, that's all.

SweetlySick

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 09:02:36 PM »
Wow, you said that with a straight face!  ;D

It's not DRM, yet it's digitally "restricted to one device at a time". 

Or to put it differently, I've bought it, yet I do not have the freedom to use it on my devices without having to deregister it from one device and register it on another. 
In fact, it's as restrictive, if not more restrictive than Microsoft office.  But "it's not DRM", apparently.

Dammit, I love the game.  But I seriously dislike the restrictions forced on me if I want to move from PC to laptop etc.    =(

This is a great indie game, and I'd just love to have the freedom most other games of it's ilk offers - DRM free, offline singler user play without device restrictions, and a/c needed only if using a server for multiplayer games.

BTW, this is the first time I've ever voiced my opinion anywhere on something like this.  And yes, it's an opinion, just as you have yours.  But please consider one thing - I, like others, are your paying customers.  We have friends and family who might like to join us.  But equally so, I know many who'd balk at the restrictions this game has.

Food for thought.  I'm done now, said my piece.  And shall get back to trying to get out of easy mode.  Damn this game is challenging!  =)

ArenMook

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Toronto, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 12:30:46 PM »
It's not restricted, you're welcome to play it on more than one device, but your profile ID will be different on each one, and progress will be separate. It's just like starting a regular PC game on two separate computers.

What you see as "DRM" is nothing more than an optional cloud backup -- the ability to transfer your saved game from one device to another. It's no different than copying a saved game from one computer to another.

SweetlySick

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 04:29:41 PM »
OK, it's looking much less severe than I'd feared, and am happy to be corrected!

So.... How do I activate the full version on all of my devices?
(I understand that the backups will be device-specific, so I'll have to re-earn my levels on each device)

Thanks in advance =)

ArenMook

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Toronto, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 01:57:03 PM »
Assuming you mean different type of devices (PC vs Android for example), you'd have to have a full version of the game on both of them. Desura has no way of distributing Android apps, so you have to go via Google Play or Amazon.

With the same kind of device -- for example PC & Mac, just download the game from Desura on both computers.

SweetlySick

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 09:57:08 PM »
Hmm, I can't download via Desura as I never bought it through there.  I bought it via my PC's browser (Chrome), and separately for my Android phone.

I don't mind (too much) if I can't use Desura.  My only goal is to use the full version on all of my PC's and laptops.  Yes, I have a few, to say the least.  Joys of being a developer! =P

So, how do I get this full version which is linked to my Chrome browser to unlock copies on my other machines?

Thoughts?

ArenMook

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Toronto, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 03:21:40 PM »
Hmm... yeah upgrading a free version in the web player is a bit different than picking up a full version right away. Copying a full version game to a new device means you get a full version there as well, but copying a free version means you still have a free version. Set up Starlink on the machines you want it on, then go to the Upgrade step, but don't buy it again -- instead record the item # on the PayPal page, and PM me the number(s).