Author Topic: 3.8.2 is the final verison of NGUI ?  (Read 1795 times)

lzt120

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • View Profile
3.8.2 is the final verison of NGUI ?
« on: May 31, 2015, 03:24:04 AM »
I wonder if the 3.8.2 is the Final version of NGUI and no updates any more?

Nicki

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 141
    • View Profile
Re: 3.8.2 is the final verison of NGUI ?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 11:36:35 AM »
Probably not. Development has been more quiet since Windward is releasing on Steam and all, so there hasn't been many fixes lately. I believe the pro repo is slightly a head with a few things, but nothing major.

Question is if there will be any major overhauls or new features, but that mostly depend on time investment vs benefit as usual. If something is possible to do in NGUI but not in UnityGUI for instance, it might be a driver for more users of NGUI.

Some issues I could see being worked on in the future, or are a hassle to me every once in a while:

* Performance in very large scroll lists
* Blinking when switching screens (frame delay on activation)
* Interaction with 3d /particle systems
* Rework how labels calculate sizes so we can add [ size=14 ] smalltext [ /size ]  without everything breaking.

Those are just from my own perspective - whether arenmook will work on them or not, is entirely up to him. It might be helpful to see what kinds of things people think NGUI lacks at this point, where they've had to modify core things to do it themselves, or buy other addons to it. Some things could just be built-in, I guess.

TL;DR: Probably not the last version, no.

ArenMook

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 337
  • -Receive: 1171
  • Toronto, Canada
    • View Profile
Re: 3.8.2 is the final verison of NGUI ?
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 09:00:29 PM »
The next version of NGUI is 3.9.0, and it has been getting updated in the Pro repository fairly regularly. It has quite a few nice features such as full proper controller support / InControl link, redone control scheme system that lets you seamlessly transition between mouse/keyboard, touch and controller inputs, and even a long-missing color picker.

I admit though I haven't been keeping much attention to keeping Pro repository's version notes up to date though. I'll do full version notes soon. 3.9.0 should be out within a week or two.