Author Topic: TNet 3 Right for me? (Looking for answers)  (Read 883 times)

rxmarcus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • View Profile
TNet 3 Right for me? (Looking for answers)
« on: June 01, 2017, 04:29:44 PM »
Hi, I couldn't find an email to directly ask the developer, but I'm hoping to have some questions answered.
I'm currently using Forge networking, which I've enjoyed, but at the moment it still has many bugs and development has halted, so now I'm looking at other networking options....

• Would TNet work fine for a fast paced shooter based game?
  • My game has Online / Local Multiplayer, can TNet handle this without me having to write separate code for Online / Local Multiplayer?
  • Does TNet have a Master Server? Or is it able to work with the Master Server Framework found on the asset store?
  • Is TNet able to work on other platforms besides Windows such as Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch?
  • Any chance there is a demo version of TNet I can try before I commit $100 to it?

Thanks for your time

devomage

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 67
    • View Profile
Re: TNet 3 Right for me? (Looking for answers)
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 07:18:57 PM »
I just recently added LAN and single-player support to my multi-player code.  If you code it right, they work together seamlessly.

TNet is a great asset with endless support.

raptorx81

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 09:19:11 PM »
I've personally used TNet for all my multiplayer projects and it's been the best multiplayer package to work with. I can answer some of your questions ...

• Would TNet work fine for a fast paced shooter based game?
I don't see why not - I've used it for a top down shoot em up multiplayer game and it's been perfect.
  • My game has Online / Local Multiplayer, can TNet handle this without me having to write separate code for Online / Local Multiplayer?
Yep, like devomage said, as long as you code it right it should be seamless.
  • Does TNet have a Master Server? Or is it able to work with the Master Server Framework found on the asset store?
Yes the master server is built in.
  • Is TNet able to work on other platforms besides Windows such as Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch?
Yes, though not out of the box. I can't get into specifics, but TNet supplies the source code. So with some minor adjustments porting to consoles isn't a huge undertaking.

Hope that helps!

ArenMook

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 337
  • -Receive: 1171
  • Toronto, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 04:00:02 AM »
The author tends to reply here, rather than emails... :)