Author Topic: Want know few things about TNet  (Read 1674 times)

dare

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • View Profile
Want know few things about TNet
« on: September 10, 2016, 08:13:37 AM »
Hi,

Before I buy I want to know few things about TNet. Framework looks awesome but the confusion about later expenses of server etc. I have very less knowledge of server engineering. I am initially looking for iOS & Android crossplatform.

1) Suppose for example my one game session uses 100kb send & 100 kb receive data. And if there is 5000 game sessions occurs a day. What type of sever I have to hire? It is mentioned in forum about VPS & AWS but specifically what kind of minimum specs can handle this? I know its is hard to predict but some numbers would be a good help to understand.

2) Accordance with above point, what should I emphasis on while choosing server like RAM? Processor? for traffic peak. Apart from VPS or AWS does it run on dedicated server as well?

3) Do we need to host/hire server at various location around world? How much can be the latency if it is located at one location. Since I am developing a fast paced racing game.

4) TNet also supports saving data in file, so this also is getting saved on same hosted server? No need to hire any other database server right?

Thanks you.

ArenMook

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 337
  • -Receive: 1171
  • Toronto, Canada
    • View Profile
Re: Want know few things about TNet
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 03:20:36 PM »
RAM usage - absolutely minimal. Windward's TNet server uses about 300 MB of RAM. It depends on how you use it though. Every time you upload or download a file, TNet will cache the latest version of it in memory to speed up the retrieval process for the next time. This obviously accumulates memory. Restarting the server clears it, and you can modify the server's source to release the memory on demand too if you like. I'm sure I'll add the functionality to automatically release the file memory after a certain time has passed at some point. And no, you don't need databases. TNet can save/load files for you, and it automatically saves any player data you assign to the player, provided you've specified what save file the player should be using (explained in a tutorial).

If you want a racing game, then you will want the minimum possible latency, implying several servers around the globe. Players would join a lobby and pick a server from the list that they want to play on. Processor usage is going to be minimal on the server side since all it does is echoes packets. Your only true concern is the bandwidth. Racing games generally mean a lot of frequent packets, so the server's IO responsiveness needs to be high. I would suggest having a peer-to-peer gaming functionality either instead of, or in addition to your server-based gameplay. Makes it much easier to have LAN parties and to simply play with your friend(s) in the same room.